....My purpose in creating this blog is not so much to offer something for my readers as much as an exercise to help me grow. Hopefully along the way, it may also help someone else. If not, may it at least entertain.

About Me

My photo
Middle Tennessee, United States
I was raised in a very close, Christian based middle-class family in a Southern city suburb. I have been married 34 years. I have 2 grown sons, a beautiful granddaughter, and 1 older sister. Our home right now is also home to 3 dogs, 3 cats, and 2 pet chickens! I love music, outdoors, pets, wildlife, and new adventures. I love all of nature and God's many creations and can't imagine a life without a love of God and family, wildlife and the outdoors.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Maisie's Gone Broodie



What is it that, after months of laying an egg in the nest box, hopping down afterwards, and running out into the run to be with the other hens, causes one hen one day to decide it's time to sit on the egg or any others a dedicated maternal hen can find? Such was the way the day began for Maisie. After there were 2 eggs laid in the coop in a neatly formed nest of shavings, Maisie decided it was now her job to nestle them under her and add her own freshly laid egg to bunch and begin to sit in earnest in hopes of hatching baby chicks. It means nothing to her that her ordeal will meet with total failure. There is no rooster, there has been no rooster, and there will be no forthcoming hatched chicks. None the less, Maisie has a job to do. Panting in the summer heat, even with all the coop doors and windows open, Maisie is dedicated to and driven by nature to fulfill her role as a chicken. She does so without question and without grumbling. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned for us. What is your role and do you do it without question or grumbling?

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog. I'm glad to see other people starting blogs. Some try to get all wordy and intellectual, but I prefer the simple. Mine and yours is simple and I LOVE that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas. Your input is greatly appreciated and valued.
Paula

*In an effort to control spammers, anonymous comments will be ignored and removed.